I'm a philosopher at New York University in Shanghai. I work in philosophy of science, especially causation and explanation, and on related topics in philosophy of physics, philosophy of biology and philosophy of mind.
- “A Partial Theory of Actual Causation”, in The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, forthcoming. [pdf]
- “Difference-Making, Closure and Exclusion”, in Helen Beebee, Chris Hitchcock and Huw Price (Eds), Making a Difference, Oxford University Press, Oxford, forthcoming. [pdf]
- “Statistical Mechanical Imperialism”, in Alastair Wilson (Ed), Chance and Temporal Asymmetry, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2014, pp. 241–257. [pdf]
- “Proportionality, Contrast and Explanation”, in Australasian Journal of Philosophy, vol. 91, no. 4, 2013, pp. 785–797. [pdf]
- “Explanatory Depth”, in Philosophy of Science, vol. 77, no. 2, apr 2010, pp. 273–294. [pdf]
- “The Time-Asymmetry of Causation” (with Huw Price), in Helen Beebee, Chris Hitchcock and Peter Menzies (Eds), Oxford Handbook of Causation, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2009, pp. 414–443. [pdf]
1555 Century Avenue
Pudong New District, Shanghai
- “Sudden Infant Death or Murder? The Seductive Allure of Probability Models in the Law”, Colloquium in the Humanities and Social Sciences, NYU Shanghai, 3 may.
- International Conference on Facts and Evidence: A Dialogue Between Philosophy and Law, East China Normal University, 28-29 may.
- Causation Workshop, Harvard, 10–11 jun.
- Causation and the Physical World, Universität zu Köln, 17–18 jun.
- Symposium on Causation, Intervention and the Flow of Information (with Brett Calcott, Paul Griffiths, Arnaud Pocheville, Karola Stotz and Sara Imari Walker), PSA2016, Atlanta, 3-6 nov.