I'm a philosopher at New York University in Shanghai. I work in philosophy of science, especially causation and explanation, and on related topics in philosophy of physics, philosophy of biology and philosophy of mind.
- “A Partial Theory of Actual Causation”, in The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, forthcoming. [pdf]
- “Difference-Making, Closure and Exclusion”, in Helen Beebee, Chris Hitchcock and Huw Price (Eds), Making a Difference, Oxford University Press, Oxford, forthcoming. [pdf]
- “Statistical Mechanical Imperialism”, in Alastair Wilson (Ed), Chance and Temporal Asymmetry, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2014, pp. 241–257. [pdf]
- “Proportionality, Contrast and Explanation”, in Australasian Journal of Philosophy, vol. 91, no. 4, 2013, pp. 785–797. [pdf]
- “Explanatory Depth”, in Philosophy of Science, vol. 77, no. 2, apr 2010, pp. 273–294. [pdf]
- “The Time-Asymmetry of Causation” (with Huw Price), in Helen Beebee, Chris Hitchcock and Peter Menzies (Eds), Oxford Handbook of Causation, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2009, pp. 414–443. [pdf]
|New York University Shanghai|
1555 Century Avenue
Pudong New District, Shanghai
- “Fitness in Evolutionary Theory”, Faculty Lunch Speaker Series, Shanghai, 16 apr 2015.
- Orange Beach Epistemology Workshop 7: Inference to the Best Explanation, Orange Beach, 18–19 may 2015.
- Varieties of Understanding Midpoint Conference, New York, 24–26 jun 2015.
- Australasian Association of Philosophy, Sydney, 5–9 jul 2015.
- “Fitness and Variance”, 15th Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Helsinki, 3–8 aug 2015.
- “Fitness and Variance”, Reduction in Physics and Biology, Instituto de Filosofía y Ciencias de la Complejidad, Santiago de Chile, 4–7 jan 2016.