I'm an Associate Professor of Philosophy at NYU Shanghai, Global Network Professor of Philosophy at New York University, and a Guest Professor of Philosophy at East China Normal University. I work in philosophy of science, especially causation and explanation, and on related topics in philosophy of physics, philosophy of biology and philosophy of mind.
- “A Partial Theory of Actual Causation”, in The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, forthcoming. [pdf]
- “Difference-Making, Closure and Exclusion”, in Helen Beebee, Chris Hitchcock and Huw Price (Eds), Making a Difference, Oxford University Press, Oxford, forthcoming. [pdf]
- “Statistical Mechanical Imperialism”, in Alastair Wilson (Ed), Chance and Temporal Asymmetry, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2014, pp. 241–257. [pdf]
- “Proportionality, Contrast and Explanation”, in Australasian Journal of Philosophy, vol. 91, no. 4, 2013, pp. 785–797. [pdf]
- “Explanatory Depth”, in Philosophy of Science, vol. 77, no. 2, apr 2010, pp. 273–294. [pdf]
- “The Time-Asymmetry of Causation” (with Huw Price), in Helen Beebee, Chris Hitchcock and Peter Menzies (Eds), Oxford Handbook of Causation, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2009, pp. 414–443. [pdf]
1555 Century Avenue
Pudong New District, Shanghai
- “Fitness and Variance“, Foundations of Probability Seminar, Rutgers, 27 mar 2017.
- “Fitness and Variance“, Frontier of Philosophy of Specific Sciences, Tsinghua University, 19-20 aug 2017.
- Invited Author Meets Critics session on Brad Skow, Reasons Why, Eastern Division Meeting of the American Philosophical Association, Savannah GA, 3–6 jan 2018.