I'm an Associate Professor of Philosophy at NYU Shanghai, Global Network Professor of Philosophy at New York University, and a Guest Professor of Philosophy at East China Normal University. I work in philosophy of science, especially causation and explanation, and on related topics in philosophy of physics, philosophy of biology and philosophy of mind.
- “Difference-Making, Closure and Exclusion”, in Helen Beebee, Chris Hitchcock and Huw Price (Eds), Making a Difference: Essays on the Philosophy of Causation, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2017, pp. 215–231. [pdf]
- “Statistical Mechanical Imperialism”, in Alastair Wilson (Ed), Chance and Temporal Asymmetry, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2014, pp. 241–257. [pdf]
- “Proportionality, Contrast and Explanation”, in Australasian Journal of Philosophy, vol. 91, no. 4, 2013, pp. 785–797. [pdf]
- “Explanatory Depth”, in Philosophy of Science, vol. 77, no. 2, apr 2010, pp. 273–294. [pdf]
- “The Time-Asymmetry of Causation” (with Huw Price), in Helen Beebee, Chris Hitchcock and Peter Menzies (Eds), Oxford Handbook of Causation, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2009, pp. 414–443. [pdf]
567 West Yangsi Road
Pudong New District, Shanghai
- “What is Causal Explanation?”, Philosophy Meets Science, NYU Shanghai, 20 October 2023.
- “Comments on Michael Strevens, Why High-Level Explanations Exist”, Fudan University, 19 October 2023.
- “Race”, Lecture for Global Perspectives on Society, NYU Shanghai, 28 November 2022. [Slides]
- “Tolstoy’s Philosophy in War and Peace”, NYU Shanghai, Faculty Lunchtime Speaker Series, 5 May 2022. [Slides]